Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:52:11 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:14:19 +0200
Michal Varga articulated:

> On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 02:42 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Change is hard. :)
>
> In fact, that's the whole point of the story, ironically or not.
>
> > I have no objections to someone (or some group) choosing to maintain
> > portupgrade. I've always said that I don't regard portmaster and
> > portupgrade to be in competition.
> >
> > However if no one steps up to maintain it, portupgrade will
> > eventually bitrot and become unusable. So for all of you saying
> > "save portupgrade!" this is something you seriously need to
> > consider.
>
> There is a difference in "saving" portupgrade and simply cold
> murdering it from behind just because it's that particular time of
> the month for a 'change' (cough).
>
> Believe or not, as a decade long user, I hated portupgrade from the
> day one, and learned to hate it even more as the code base bloated and
> everybody lost a slightest idea how it even holds together to the
> point where it is today. I can still (though barely) remember times
> when portupgrade was actually spending 95% cpu time on compilation
> and rest on "fixing / saving / database / dependencies", in contrast
> to the current 30% compilation time + 70% portupgrade database
> fractal magic disco that nobody gets anymore.
>
> That said, I don't propose (nor volunteer, for the love of god) to
> maintain portupgrade - I just say - leave it be. As was already said
> before me - change the handbook/documentation, feel free to wipe all
> tracks of portupgrade from it, that doesn't matter even slightest to
> the current portupgrade user base, as we don't read that anyway.
>
> But I have machines and scripts that need to be kept up to date and
> will need to be for years to come, and portupgrade is the current
> mission critical tool for that. Change is hard, *especially* when
> there is nothing broken with stuff that already works.
>
> "Unmaintained" portupgrade is not a security threat, it's not a
> network service, it may have bugs that nobody cares about to fix
> anymore, but most people [citation needed] don't care about them,
> they're worked around for years, and a stable bug is almost as good
> as a feature, isn't it?
>
> Again, as you said - portmaster is not a replacement for portupgrade.
> I have no objections in its promotion to new users as the new, one and
> only "approved" way of managing ports, but this in no way cuts it for
> currently deployed portupgrade setups, where portupgrade works 'just
> fine' (and can work the same for years to come). Deprecate it, or kill
> it, and you will only force many current users to keep a local copy,
> because it's still easier than a change. Is there any win in that?

I have not seen any verified upside to removing "portupgrade" from the
ports system, so while kill it.

While we are on the subject of port management tools, I still use
"portmanager" when a version bump on a port requires that a massive
number of dependencies be rebuild. I have had all too many instances
when both "portupgrade" and "portmaster" simply bombed out and left me
with only a partially updated system, and in many cases, a virtually
useless one. Portmanager would simple get the job done right the first
time. It might be overkill for one or two port upgrades; however, it
works fine on massive projects that seem to bewilder the other two
competing contenders. The "p5-libwww-5*" example in the case of
"portmaster" being a perfect example.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌