Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:09:25 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple versions of ports somehow installed.

kevin cleared,

> To use portupgrade, you MUST run "portdb -Uu" after a cvsup so that
> the portupgrade database is aware of any new ports. This takes quite a
> while...typically 45 minutes on my 366 MHz PII ThinkPad. You might
> want to nice(1) it into the background and forget about it for an
> hour.

This may be part of my problem--it comes back instantly. (i assume you
meand portsdb, with the s). Any ideas what this means is broken?

I'm beginning to suspect that my system is thorgouhly hosed . . .

> Once this is done, I usually use "portversion -vL '='" to get a list
> of what needs upgrading and then "portupgrade -Rr PORTNAME". You don't
> need a version number and, when multiple ports match PORTNAME, you are
> prompted for which to upgrade.

It seems to me that I did this whole sequence some long time ago, and
it upgraded a few.

But what do I do about the *existence* of these multiple versions,
which generally think they have the same files?  Delete the entries in
/var/db/pkg for the older version?

thanks

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail