Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:05:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        Andrew Herdman <andrew@io.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherEZ 8416

On Wed, November 29, 1995 at 11:42:13 (-0800), David Greenman wrote:

 > > > Thats ok, this card has the same problem with bsdi 2.0.1 and 2.0.  It's a
 > > > crappy card.

 > > > Use the SMC Ultra 16 instead

 > >	Ack!  What happened to SMC making great cards?  *sigh*  I was told
 > >SMC no longer made the Ultras and Elite Ultras.  David, do you know if
 > >there's much chance of getting this card working soon?

 >    The EtherEZ *should* work. It was working for some people...I have one here
 > and I'll try to test it out soon. In the mean time, I'd try changing the
 > shared memory address to something different and possible look at your ISA bus
 > timing and make sure it isn't too fast.

	Well, I spent about 3 hours with it this evening and couldn't get
it working.  A few times it would sort of work and hang on the route add
default, but once I broke it no network applications would work.  tcpdump
would output about one 25 line page and then not output anymore.  When I
broke it, it would report that the kernel dropped a lot of packets.
Anyhow, other times it does the NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length
4864.  Any ideas?  I really need to get this card working...  Thanks again!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM              | Network Administration and Software Development