Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:43:30 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "leak" in softupdates?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > As for 'the enterprise', I think the only thing that I really find about
> > FreeBSD that 'hurts' is that I can't go above the 4Gig of RAM limit within
> > ia32, even though there are boards that do support it ...
>
> This is definitely an area of concern, and I *am* glad that you're
> doing boundary testing ;-)
>
> The biggest obstacles to adoption in the enterprise aren't technical,
> however.  It's all about mind share,  and IT staff tolerate all
> manner of stupid limitations from Sun, HP, IBM, etc.

Actually, one of our techs (I work at a University) got a call from IBM
the other day wondering what RAID controller we were using with our IBM
Servers, since another University is looking at buying a server from them
and will be running FreeBSD on it ... they know we're running it and keep
beating them up over it, so turned to us for advice ... very scary ...