Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:48:58 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Christopher Leigh <clcont@gmx.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uhm. why isn't there a vigr for freebsd?

vipw has been around forever that I know of. Long before /etc/shadow showed
up.

-- richard

David Kelly wrote:

> "Christopher Leigh" writes:
> > hi. uhm, i was just wondering... there's vipw, but how come there's no
> > vigr for freebsd?
>
> Expect it has to do with the fact there was not a vipw until after
> /etc/passwd turned into a dummy file and the real data moved elsewhere.
>
> /etc/group is still The Real Thing. Plain old vi still works fine. But
> for editing the password file one has to rebuild the database. vipw
> does this for you.
>
> Was a little surprised just now to find vipw was not a shell script.
> Then agin compiled its only 8k. Sources are about that size too.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA