Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:42:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        davidd@datasphereweb.com (David Daugherty)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: / is filling up

> My / partition is getting pretty full, 92%. Usually the culprit is something
> I'm not rotating in /var/log, but that's not the case this time. Does anyone
> have any suggestions to find out where this is? I'm guessing it's probably
> something using ls and sort but I'll be damned if I can put something
> together that helps this problem.

What have you tried?
Usually I use successive runs of  du(1)  to track down overfilling culprits.
Are you familiar with that?
CD to your root (/)
run   du -sk *
cd in to any suspiciously large directories and do another du, etc.

By the way, I think it is good practice to make a separate file
system for things like /var/log /var/spool and others that can
fill up suddenly when you aren't looking.   That way they won't
trash the root file system and bring the system down (so easily).

////jerry