Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2011 17:21:42 +0200
From:      Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Carmel <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Re: Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router

=46riday 08 of April 2011 17:05:51 Carmel napisa=B3(a):
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:03:57 +0300
>=20
> Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> articulated:
> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 13:55, Carmel <carmel_ny@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 07:56:00 +0300
> > >=20
> > > Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> articulated:
> > >=20
> > > That is like saying "A" is better than "B" without divulging any
> > > specific information. It is just a hollow statement. Either point
> > > me to the specific documentation explaining the differences in
> > > detail or explain them to me yourself.
> >=20
> > I did not know I needed a spoon to feed someone, but anyway, the main
> > details are at http://dd-wrt.com/site/content/about
> > The finer details are only visible once you look at what you can do
> > with factory firmware, then flash your router with dd-wrt and
> > compare. FYI, you can always revert to factory firmware if dd-wrt
> > does not please you.
>=20
> That seems like a lot of work for a potential zero gain. I really don't
> see any purpose is taking the time and a perfectly good router out of
> commission to just experiment. Based on the simple concept of, "If it
> ain't broke, don't fix it", I think I will leave it alone.

In some circumstances it's worth. Not everyone needs anything above stock=20
firmware but some funcionalities are really useful. Sometime ago it was tha=
t=20
stock firmware has issues with their wireless chipsets and waiting for the=
=20
manufacturer update was very long - using alternative firmware helped a lot=
=20
that time.

Does stock firmware support openvpn client?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_%28the_easy_way%29_v24%2B
What about hotspot functionality? Does stock firmware support it?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Chillispot
Monthly/daily usage statistics etc. for people who have some limits on the=
=20
internet access? I think there could be more things that are useful for som=
e=20
people.

Maciej