Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:41:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw uid mods (seemingly) done

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Brian Feldman wrote:
> >   I'd like some more testing of the ipfw uid mods (found at
> > http://janus.syracuse.net/~green/public_html/ipfw_uid.patch) before
> > I'm truly comfortable that it's fine and dandy.  I added incoming
> > packet support today, as you can see:
>
> If you're going to bloat the size of an m_buf, why not store a pid_t
> instead of a uid_t?  This means you'll have to make up a struct to hold
> all of the values to match rules against in ip_fw (might I suggest a
> value/context type arrangement here as a single rule never need match more
> than a single gid/uid/euid/egid etc.

The problem with that is that the pid might not be alive anymore, or
replaced with another one! I plan on adding a random 64-bit number to
struct proc for identification purpouses. I.e. p->p_pid and p->p_cookie
must both match to the mbuf ones. Does this sound good to everyone? This
would be a bit cleaner, and require mbuf to add both a m_pid and m_cookie.
How does this sound to everyone? Generating 8 random bytes per proc
invocation shouldn't be very expensive at all...

> --
> | Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
> | winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |
> | http://www.jurai.net/~winter | Are you k-rad elite enough for my webpage?   |

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/