Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:43:16 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        bob@tamara-b.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hairy Cats and mice and FreeBSD

> You mean work like a scrollwheel, or as the center button
> of a three button mouse? Mine works like the latter,
> I have yet to have it work as a scroll wheel, even though
> my /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains the very same ZAxisMapping.

This (6.1) box has a Logitech TrackMan Marble+ trackball.  When
pressed, the wheel acts like a center button.  When rolled, it
acts like a scrollwheel.  I have turned off Xterm scrollbars,
because the wheel does the job without taking up screen space.

I had a bit of a hassle when initially setting up Xorg, because
I didn't particularly want to enable console mouse and therefore
needed to have Xorg use the mouse directly.  Other than that, it
"just works".

There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf on this box.  What I take to be
the relevant parts of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf are:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"