Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:41:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        John Robert LoVerso <john@loverso.southborough.ma.us>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some woes about rc.conf.site

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, John Robert LoVerso wrote:

> > No I have to use two vi sessions (or one ,more' and one ,vi' session)
> > in two different (!) windows (especially after a new installation,
>
> Or type "vi /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.site" and then hit ":N" to split
> the screen into two sessions, one in /etc/rc.conf and one in /etc/rc.conf.site.
> Use ^W to toggle between the the split screens.
>

> IMNO (not that it matters!), I'd prefer rc.conf to go away and be replaced
> by a SVR4-like "/etc/rc.init.d" with start and stop scripts.  While I
> hated initially back in '92 when it was first inflicted upon, I find it
> much more useful than a single rc.conf file.  Especially when adding in
> optional packages.

When I last did SVR4 admin, with ESIX, I kind of liked that.  Now I'm in
the midst of getting used to Solaris7 (which I stuck on the new machine,
to give me broader experience) and I have to say, the extreme
balkanization of the startup and shutdown scripts is disheartening.
It's no doubt a wonderful thing for the folks who write GUIs to manage
it, but I only like GUIs that are tightly under control (for years, I
wouldn't touch GUIs at all).  The extreme splitting up of the scripts is
horrible for someone who wants to tweak scripts.

Any thought of moving to a more layered style of admin'ing has to be
very carefully considered, because it surely can make a hostile
environment for anyone who doesn't want *precisely* what the GUI
architect wants them to want.  I want the move, but *please* don't let
it be driven only by how much easier it is to control by a GUI.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).