Date:      Thu, 13 May 2004 13:04:07 -0400
From:      Michael Hamburg <hamburg@fas.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do fix a good solution against spam..

OpenBSD has a great tool called spamd.  When used in conjunction with
pf, you can redirect spammers to a spam proxy which uses very little of
your memory and cpu time, but tries to use as much of theirs as
possible.  That way, spam from computers on RBLs is blocked directly
instead of wasting your time and possibly bandwidth.

Of course, if you have qualms about using RBLs (as I do, for instance),
you'll have to let the mail deliver.  I use a spam blocker called
CRM114.  It requires only 100K or so of training to achieve impressive
filtering rates.  It's been quite successful so far: I haven't seen
real false positive in months, and the only spam to get through in that
time was one new one I'd never seen before, and some of those one-line
virus things (I can't afford to block .zip attachments wholesale).  I'm
considering taking Harvard off my whitelist and using it to filter out
spam-like list submissions.

My main reservation about recommending CRM114 is that its datafiles are
rather large.  Mine are 25 megabytes just for my account, although
2M/account is easily doable if you need space.  Still, this would be
infeasible for a large site.  You can also share the datafiles, but
this would be rather tricky to do well, especially as mail mixes tend
to be unique to the user.

The default is just to tag mail as spam, but as with SpamAssassin, you
can setup .procmailrc or the like block it outright.  It still uses
your processor time and bandwidth, though.

Mike Hamburg
P.S. I use qmail, and I like it but I'm not a mailserver zealot.  So
long as it's not Sendmail :-)