Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:57:02 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trap 9 When Boot SMP

Hi,

> Steve Passe writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Thomas found a 'fix', although we don't understand WHY the problem exists.
>  > It appears that %es is getting corrupted somewhere during boot.  The
>  > 'solution' was:
>  >
>  > > The es value IS the culprit.
>  > >
>  > > Havn't found where it is being mangled, I suspect the
>  > > doreti code.
>  > >
>  > > I nailed es to ds at the top of smp_idleloop in init_smp.c.
>  > >    asm("pushl %ds; popl %es");
>  >
>  > ---
>  > anyone have any theories about this one?  This is the only reported system
>  > having this problem, and I have no clues as to why...
>
> I've been having the same problem since May on an Tyan ATX 1668 system
> (with a 5 week hiatus when my machine was sent back to the vendor for
> repairs, including problems with memory).  At the time, Steve
> suspected that it was hardware, but this hack does allow me to run SMP
> now.  Two things in common is that we both have Matrox accelerators
> and NCR SCSI controllers.  Strangely enough, I did have SMP running
> for about a week in early May, but it stopped working about the time I
> did some hardware changes.

do you recall what those hardware changes were?
I don't see the Matrox being trouble at boot as there is no code specific
to that card at boot time.  The NCR code is a possibility,  what/who's BIOS
are you using for the NCR card?

I'll add this patch to the code as some sort of "#ifdef 0" thing and document
it as rogue hardware.  Not much else to do until we can nail down exactly
what the prblem is caused by.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by