Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:33:33 +0800
From:      Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o?= Fernandes <OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPF vs ipfw?

Joćo Fernandes wrote:

> Could some one please enlighten me on the subject IPFilter Versus ipfw?
> What the pros and cons may be?
> Or if this topic has already been way discussed, could I be given an URL to
> go and read the discussions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joao Fernandes

Information about ipfilter on its home page :
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/

My impression on ipfilter is that it is well and very actively
maintained by its author, and is a very comprehensive package ... just
as an example, the latest ECE flag advisory about ipfw came out when
this new flag has been handled by ipfilter for a long time. Both of them
are well documented (both the FreeBSD security howto and ipf howto are a
must-read), when ipfilter needs more hard work to understand every
aspects of it (which is good if you plan to be serious about your
security) ...

I've been using it for one year now, switching from ipfw because of its
dynamic rules (keep state) feature which was not available in ipfw at
this time. Now, it's exteremely difficult to give some pros and cons on
any such sensible package without starting a flamewar :-)

More discussion about this topic can be found on the
security@freebsd.org archives, on www.freebsd.org.
--
Erwan Arzur
NetValue ltd.