Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:45:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Russell A. Khurshudian" <russell_k@acedsl.com>
Cc:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RCS: Allowing more users to make changes

Russell A. Khurshudian wrote to Crist J . Clark:

> What type of permissions do i need to set? rw on the file and rwx
> (group permissions) on the RCS and dir the file exists in?

The directory housing the file, as well as the RCS directory, need to
be writeable by all RCS users (making them all members of the same
group is convenient for this... man 5 group).

A good policy might be this one:

ci *				# Check in all files first!
chgrp groupname RCS RCS/*
chmod 0770 RCS			# World doesn't need to read backups
chmod 0664 RCS/*

Of course, if, when you create the RCS directory in the first place,
your primary group is "groupname", and you set your umask to 002, this
will all be done for you.

Note that when you check out a file without a lock (co filename) it
will typically have permissions 444 (everyone read). If you obtain a
lock (co -l filename) it should be writable by the current RCS user.

What happens with *,v is RCS is careful to preserve the original file
permissions.

This is one way to do it that works. There are dozens of other
policies you could adopt with RCS, that I can think of.

If you have a LOT of users over complex directory structures, you
might actually save some time and hassle with the more complex CVS.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon