Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 08:37:37 -0500
From:      Garry Offord <offord@cig.mot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about installing FreeBSD from floppies

I have a (hopefully) simple question about installing FreeBSD from floppies.
In section 2.2.2, "Before installing from Floppy" of the online installation
manual (the URL is: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook13.html#13) it
says:

	"The first floppy that you will need in addition to the boot.flp image is
``floppies/root.flp'', which is somewhat special in that it is not a DOS
filesystem floppy at all, but rather a floppy "image" (it's actually a gzip'd
cpio file). You can create this floppy in the same way that you created the
boot floppy the beginning of this guide . Once this floppy is made, you can
go on to make the distribution set floppies using ordinary DOS or UFS (if you
are preparing the floppies on another FreeBSD machine) formatted diskettes."

Although I have read and understand the section on creating the boot floppy,
I am really not sure what "floppies/root.flp" is supposed to contain, nor how
to create it.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Garry Offord
| Garry Offord, Motorola        | Internet : offord@cig.mot.com        |
| Cellular Infrastructure Group | Telephone: (847) 632-6234            |
| Arlington Heights, IL         | ...all opinions are entirely mine .. |