Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:39:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jason M. Leonard" <fuzz@ldc.upenn.edu>
To:        Muthu_T@Dell.com
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PE3250 + FreeBSD 5.2.1

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 Muthu_T@Dell.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I tried to install 5.2.1 on Dell PE3250 (Itaninum2 m/c).
> It boots stage1 (boots from CD), but the menu doesn't displayed at all
> (stage2 or stage3?).
>
> Any ideas? Or any extra information needed?
>
> Is there any latest snapshots? If so I will try that one.

Hi Muthu,

You need to attach a console to the box.

I have a PE3250 myself.  As near as I can tell from the Dell manual (which
is just an Intel manual with a Dell cover) and from the folks at Dell I
have spoken with, Dell made some changes to the 3250 (a re-branded Intel
box) but did not bother to update the manual to reflect those changes.
So don't follow the instructions in the manual that tell you to
set up console redirection via EFI--they don't work.  Use the BIOS.

This machine has been the source of a lot of friction between my group and
Dell; I am curious to learn about your experiences with it.

:Fuzz