Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 17:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Brian Somers) <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: Minor error (?) in regex.h

Hi Terry Lambert;  On 05-Oct-97 you wrote:
> > The stuff in /usr/include isn't meant to be standalone - it's a
> > hysterically religious thing.
>
>  Having to do with relative compilation times based on how the C
>  preprocessor works.
>
>  The problem with making the cpp "know" the file to be included is
>  already in scope is truly religious history: you can't be sure
>  that some idiot trying to program C++ in C didn't define something,
> #include a file which ##'ed the something as a prefix/suffix, then
>  redefined the thing, and included the same file again (think of
>  "template classes for C" and you will get the -- nauseating -- picture).
>
>  In addition, there are know dwiddley's (a dwiddley is someone who puts
>  code in an include file).

So, some of the contributors to FreeBSD are dwiddley's (LOVE that
expression :-), as I never thought this to be permissable, until I read
some sources here :-))

Don't remember whwere but these where some inline functions.
BTW, is queue.h, which is full of #define's as long as functions, a
Dwiddled code?

This is a humorous, tention breaker.  Right?

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313