Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:55:27 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@staff.psinet.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to hook into user logins / logouts ?

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, David Nugent wrote:

>    rsh <yourhost> exec env DISPLAY=$HOSTDISPLAY xterm &
>
> :-)

	How about modifying xterm to call always call getty before
	everything else? :)))

	(Kidding aside, I think that the very definition of
	"login" for accounting purposes is possible in the
	following two ways:

	1. Per dialin line basis (modem, vty, terminal);
	2. Per process (one may use system accounting easily
	   to accumulate time for all the processes of any
	   user).

	The very concept of "network login" seems to be a bit fuzzy
	on UNIX, despite thefact that you probably may
	run getty on all the pty's :)))  Or am I wrong?)

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin

nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE