Date:      10 Oct 2003 15:12:36 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports that should use CONFLICTS

* Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>:

[Your mailer produces overly long lines. I fixed this in the quoted text.]

Allow a few remarks as an interested user.

> now that we have support for CONFLICTS checking, it is time to
> actually use it.  I planned to make this my next mega-PR, but in the
> current form it is to bulky.  Perhaps Kato-san will whip up a few
> patches :-) The work isn't finished yet, but I thought it might be of
> interest.

CONFLICTS introduced an interesting breakage here when I wanted to
install a package containings a CONFLICTS declaration with an
out-of-date pkg_add.

It seems that pkg_add should be tought to ignore unknown declarations in
package files.

> - news/tin conflicts with textproc/urlview
>  common files: bin/url_handler.sh
>  CONFLICTS= urlview-0.*

tin's url_handler should be installed either as .sample or into a
separate examples directory, IMHO. BTW, the last time I looked, both tin
and mutt (and possibly other ports) installed a mbox(5) manpage. Maybe
something to look after, too. Of course not a case for CONFLICTS.

> - www/lynx-current conflicts with japanese/lynx,
> japanese/lynx-current, www/lynx
>  common files: bin/lynx
>  CONFLICTS= ja-lynx-2.8.* lynx-2.8.4.1d

I beg your pardon, but I do not think anyone will install these in
parallel. This is probably true for every localized port or for ports
that feature a modified version of some software which is - in its stock
version - present in the ports collection too.

> - www/squid24 conflicts with www/squid
>  common files: sbin/squid
>  CONFLICTS= squid-2.5_4

Same here. But since squid-2.4 is not officially supported by the squid
team anymore, I suggest to remove it completely.