Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 14:16:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peters@staidan.qld.edu.au (Peter Stubbs)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: reading ufs from OS/2

> I've just seen an announcement in comp.os2.announce of a free .ifs for
> OS/2 to be able to read & write to linux partitions.
>
> QUOTE
> ---------
> ext2-os2.ifs is a file system driver that allows OS/2 to seamlessly
> access Linux native partitions (ext2fs partitions) in both read and
> write modes. Once installed, Linux partitions appear as standard OS/2
> drive letters, one per Linux partition.
> ----------
> ENDQUOTE
>
> How alien is the linux file system from the FBSD one? Would it work?
> It would be nice if it did!

This is an interesting application.

To accomplish this with the BSD code, you would need to:

1)	Abstract the BSD dependencies from the file system interface
	(I have submitted some patches to do this).  Such an
	abstraction makes the BSD code more closely resemble the
	Heideman Thesis description: integration of the UCLA FIcus
	code into the 4.4BSD code was, at beast, a hack-job.

2)	Abstract the mount process from the BSD hierachy model (I have
	submitted some patches to do this).  Such an abstration is
	very useful for implementation of transient resources for
	mobile computing even in a BSD environment: Syquest, ZIP,
	and other removable media which may "arrive", floppies and
	CDROM, PCMCIA FlashRAM and disks, docking stations, and
	intermittent network links (IR/WaveLAN/Etc.), and so on.

3)	Port the Heidemann framework and BSD kernel environemnt
	support to the target OS (a team of three of us has ported
	the Heidemann framework, after the BSD architectural
	patches to Windows 95 -- OS/2 would be less difficult
	since this has been done, but also less lucrative; we
	consider the port of the framework to be proprietary, but
	are considering exposing the interface to allow you to
	provide your own VPE's [Heidemann file systems] for Windows
	95).  You could probably do the port to OS/2 in 2-3 man
	months (assuming you have my patches and noting that the
	OS/2 documentation is both more complete and more correct
	than the Windows 95 documentation).

4)	Compile and load modules.  In Windows94, this is accomplished
	by building the modules as VPE's and using the PELDR interface
	to load them into a framework consisting of the modified
	Heidemann code and a BSD kernel emulation environment (mostly
	VMM.VXD consumer code providing a BSD VM consumer interface
	for the file system "bottom end").

With appropriate changes to path disoloution code (also part of the
patches I have submitted: changes are made to each FS regarding cn_pnbuf),
this would immediately buy you FFS, LFS, CD9660, VFATFS, NFS clint, SMBFS
client (when it is released), NetWare client (when it is released), BSD
EXT2FS, UNION, LOOPBACK, and read-only NTFS support for your OS/2 box.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---