Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:32:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breaking up make.conf

> I've been thinking a bit about how to break up the monolithic
> make.conf, which is starting to grow a bit unwieldy of late.  The
> other advantage is that with a broken-up make.conf you can easily have
> e.g. different CFLAGS settings for src builds, port builds, and
> "manual" builds, and we reduce namespace pollution quite a bit.
>
> Moving port config options to a ports.conf is trivial, since all ports
> include ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk, so the .include can be done there.
>
> Moving world config options to a world.conf is a bit more tricky,
> because we need a way to tell whether we're building in src/ (and not
> just using 'make world').  The only way I can think to do this is to
> have everything include ../Makefile.inc back up to the root of the
> tree, which sets a BUILDING_WORLD variable that is used (in bsd.obj.mk
> and possibly other makefiles) to control the inclusion of
> /etc/world.conf and /etc/defaults/world.conf.  It's a bit messy, but I
> can't seem to see any better way.

I've though about this on and off over the years, and would actually
like to see src/make.conf or src/world.conf and remove the /etc
dependecy.  The major reason is that I often have more than one
src tree on a build system and I have to screw around with /etc/make.conf
if build environments are different.

This can be implemented by a simple backtrace up the tree from any
level looking for make.conf, terminating either when we find one,
or when we hit /.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net