Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:39:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        Dion E Viglione <dionv@spots.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLARIS VS FreeBSD

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Dion E Viglione wrote:

> Solaris 8 is now "open" and free.  Sun told me that it is the superior UNIX of all UNICES--to end all UNICES! (--to that effect)

of course they'll tell you that. it's called "marketing" and "sales"

> And--
> Solaris' kernel algorithm design is suppose to be better than BSD's.  I want to learn UNIX, but computer scientists predict
> Linux will gradually fade away, leaving BSD;

Honestly, I don't see Linux fading away. Even though many look to Linux as
competition for FreeBSD, we're all working toward the same
goal: reliable open source software.

>but now Solaris is free--won't that "crush" BSD?  Won't everyone flock to Solaris?

No. it might be free *cough* $75 *cough* but it's still not open source,
which is the desired choice for many. Solaris isn't going to provide you
with all the tools to hack away on their applications. With open source,
you have that option. I may use Solaris at times, but it's not my OS of
choice.

> Should I now uninstall my OpenBSD?

That choice is up to you.

> Please help me with guidance.
>
> --D Viglione, very confused student who wants to have faith in BSD, again.
>
> I got the impression from Sun that they have never heard of FreeBSD!

who did you talk to at Sun? Someone in the mail room?

>Does that mean FreeBSD is not good enough for large corporations?

Look on the FreeBSD website. There's a link to a bunch of companies and
individuals who use FreeBSD. You will recognize some of the names.
-Otter