Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:37:15 -0800
From:      Landon Fuller <landonf@bikemonkey.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc64

--Apple-Mail-40-169936232

On Jan 30, 2008, at 14:42, Eirik =D8verby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> an old boring question coming up again...
>
> For various reasons we have some interest in getting Java running =20
> on FreeBSD-SPARC64. Also, the sun4v platform is of interest, but =20
> currently mostly academic such as the FreeBSD port to sun4v isn't =20
> useful at this stage.
>
> We are using FreeBSD on a load of old SUN servers that their owners =20=

> can't or won't dispose of. Having Java available would make these =20
> systems even more useful, and might bring in more business for us.
>
> So, put plainly, what kind of man-hours are we talking about to =20
> bring Java 1.5 to fbsd-sparc64?

At first glance, it doesn't look to be more than a couple weeks of =20
work (at the high end). Someone on the OpenJDK lists recently asked =20
about Linux/Sparc, which would require roughly the same effort =20
(implementing os_cpu for bsd_sparc):
	=
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2007-September/=20
000138.html
	http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/porters-dev/2008-January/=20=

000078.html

> And what kind of money/support/inspiration would be needed to make =20
> this a priority?

Seems like the biggest problem is access to freebsd/sparc64, and -- =20
of course -- finding someone sufficiently excited about doing the =20
porting work =3D)

-landonf=

--Apple-Mail-40-169936232
	name=PGP.sig