Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 11:21:45 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Gilbert <gilbert@gloviz.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftpd HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Gilbert wrote:

> Hi there I am trying to start the ftpd as I cannot see it when I do a
> "ps -ax" and I need to start it as I have to ftp into the server if
> anyone can help me.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.5 stable and I have set it up in the inetd.conf
> and the rc.conf.
>
> This is URGENT please

Look in inetd.conf, to see if ftpd is uncommented, that is no #
before ftpd. If there is a #, remove it, then do
'ps ax | grep inetd' to get inetd's pid, and last do
'kill -HUP inetd's-pid'

To see it with 'ps ax' you must do ftp to your own server, as it
will start first when it's needed by inetd.

A very short explanation maybe, but I hope it will help you.

Best regards,
Paul