Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:44:45 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

  > looks like 20%+ speedup across the board. Definately worth it.
  >
  > next stop, DMA.

  Not to be rude, but you'd probably get an equall great increase if not
  more so by switching to SCSI, along with reduced cpu usage.

Sure. but I don't have the $$$ to do this. Anyway, if there is milage
in making ISA work, I might as well try it.

This is kinda a sore point for me. I've been at the top-end of box configs
and I've been at the bottom. There are lots of users out there who just
aren't going to get SMP enabled 512k cache m/b with fast-wide scsi, and
making lower end configs work 'optimally' is important.

I think it was said in 'insanely great' that shaving 1 second off the
boot time for a Mac over the lifetime of the MacOS is like saving 10 peoples
lifespans in time saved worldwide...

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm@connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,