Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:56:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Ludo Koren <lk@tempest.sk>
Cc:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org, ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipdivert and ethernet bridging

> The patch follows. Comments are welcomed.

I had a slightly different solution in mind.

In my design, a match in a "divert" rule would make bdg_forward
return a special code so that the packet would appear as destined for
the local interface and passed to the upper layer (hence calling
ip_input() etc.).

While your approach is more compact i see some potential problems:

1) a packet destined to a local address probably ends up being duplicated,
   as it gets diverted once in bdg_forward(), and once again when it goes
   to ether_input() and up. Duplicates are discarded by TCP so things might
   work without problem except performance.

2) packets diverted like this bypass the ipintrq queue, which is probably
   not a problem at all but worth mentioning.

	cheers
	luigi