Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2013 01:09:15 -0500
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        Freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        William Grzybowski <william88@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Is it or isn't it installed? (It is, but ports tries to again, doomed to fail.)

On 11/5/2013 11:13 AM, William Grzybowski wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de> wrote:
>> On 05/11/2013 14:55, Chad J. Milios wrote:
>>> <snip>...
>>> Just happen to already have the dependency devel/py-boto (py27-boto-2.14.0) or devel/py-pyzmq (py27-pyzmq-2.2.0) installed (and their port dirs since cleaned up) when you try to install net/py-kombu (py27-kombu-3.0.1) from ports with BOTO and/or ZMQ options. (In my case I have all its options on.)
>>> ...<snip>...
>>>      Stop in /usr/ports/net/py-kombu.
>>>      root@shikamaru:/usr/ports/net/py-kombu #
>> That looks like the dependencies in net/py-kombu are broken. I.e. they
>> refer to files that are not/no longer installed by the dependencies.

Actually, Dominic, the dependencies were referred to using the
package_name/version_spec functionality rather than checking the
existence of a target file. There was an error with the way the version
requirement was specified which William has since fixed.

> Did you get my email asking to try again after the last port update
> fixing the dependencies?

YUP! Sure did fix it, William. THANK YOU for the super-quick response
and fix. Sorry it took me this long to get around to a re-test for you.
It looks like your fix did the trick:

28c28
< BOTO_RUN_DEPENDS=
${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}boto=>2.6.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/py-boto
---
 > BOTO_RUN_DEPENDS=
${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}boto>=2.6.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/py-boto
32c32
< ZMQ_RUN_DEPENDS=
${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}pyzmq=>2.2.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/py-pyzmq
---
 > ZMQ_RUN_DEPENDS=
${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}pyzmq>=2.2.0:${PORTSDIR}/devel/py-pyzmq

Anyone spot the subtle difference? Darn. That went right under my nose.

Seems like a mistake anyone could make, with all the syntaxen floating
around in one's head. I for one think it would be nice if make failed
more spectacularly at the point it hits the =>. Is there any legal use
of => in make? It seems that every occurrence of => in the ports tree is
now either just part of some inlined perl code, part of human-readable
text output or in a comment. Food for thought: I wonder what make is
"thinking" at that point of parsing and executing. Can the make makers
make make see that as an immediate syntax error without a drastic change
that breaks Makefiles potentially in the wild? A question for far
greater minds than I. Prolly already wudda if they cudda. Oh well, just
another make gotcha for everyone to remember to watch out for.

Thanks again WG@ for fixing my issue within half an hour of my mail to
freebsd-ports@ !!!