Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 21:32:54 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 01:21:33AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Wanna bet?  Motorola had/has it running on their StarMax series.  They
> > have a full-time engineer support Linux on their embedded and server
> > PowerPC CPU boards now, too.  <Sigh>  Too bad we don't engender this
> > kind of support.
>
> Maybe if FreeBSD had something Linux didn't that Motorola really,
> really wanted.
>
> Like maybe hard RT with first-deadline-first scheduling.

Motorola didn't want Linux, Northern Telecom did.  The reason it's
getting full-time attention is because NT was pretty vocal, and
because they had one brilliant engineer who had already done half
the work on his own time because that's what he wanted to do.  If
we'd managed to convince him to port FreeBSD to the PowerPC, NT
would have probably ended up with that instead.  This case is so
close to what happened with Sun last year it almost sickens me.

Three guesses who that engineer is.  ;^)