Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:18:09 -0600
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd equivelent to the linux ethtool command?

On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:07, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Oct 28), Jonathan Horne said:
> > i have a computer that recently stopped obeying WOL packets, after i
> > did a dual boot of freebsd/suse 10.1.  before i put suse on there,
> > WOL always worked just fine.
> >
> > apparently, the linux driver for my network card, put the nic in
> > "always off" mode, and in order to be able to WOL later, i have to
> > shut the linux off in "wol g" mode (using ethtool, so it can listen
> > for packets later).  even in freebsd now tho, its still not listening
> > for WOL packets.  is there something in freebsd i can use to edit the
> > behavior of the driver, to make sure the nic powers down in
> > "wol-listen" mode?
>
> I didn't even know you could toggle WOL outside of the BIOS.  Check
> there, or maybe your NIC's config page (Ctrl-S during bootup for Intel
> nics).

well i was also always under the impressions that WOL was complete OS
independant, but it appears to be dependant on the way and format of the ACPI
poweroff of the system.  apparently, the system has to be shutdown in a way
that the nic "stays vigilent" for a wakeup call.  linux ethtool, yeilds this:

iapetus:~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: yes

that system, normally boots up with wake-on: set to d (not listed in the
supports wake-on: line).  it says g now, because i specified
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS='wol g' in the nics ifcfg-eth0 config file (alternatively, i
could have issued the command 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g').

even in windows, these options are configurable:
http://www.dfwlp.org/~jhorne/other/win32wol.jpg

so, finally, this brings me back to my os of choice.  freebsd is using the
same nic that linux and windows are using, and those drivers are configurable
for wake-yes or wake-no.  now i just need to figure out if this setting is
available to be adjusted in freebsd, and if how, how do i speicify it?

cheers,
jonathan