Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2014 06:54:32 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop 9.1 upgrade

Hi,

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 17:27:48 +0200
Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:

> I have a laptop, I'd like to upgrade to recent
> version and use with graphics. When installed,
> it had to use kms and I recompiled x parts to
> have it work.
> I'd like to get advice if I have to go up to 9.3
> or 10.0 better, regarding hardware, mentioned

does 9.3 support your hardware? It seems to me.

I would then stick with 9.x as a long it is supported.

You should not need to reinstall the ports if you stick with 0.x

> in dmesg I post latter. I would avoid zfs. What
> about kms recompiling for 9.3?

I would do a simple portupgrade after installing the 9.3.

> I assume I'd first install pkg for packages and
> then do "pkg upgrade -f" to update all of them?
> If more info needed, I will post it aside dmesg.
> Best regards.
>
> Copyright (c) 1992-2012 The FreeBSD Project.
> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993,
> 1994 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
> FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #1: Sat Dec 29 16:05:59 CET 2012
>     root@mycenae:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NEWKERN amd64
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz (2294.83-MHz K8-class

This looks like a second generation CPU. This is fully supported. Just
install 9.3 and then get a new ports tree and do a portupgrade or use
any other tool you like to do this job.

The defaults should lead you to a fully supported graphics card.

What notebook model are you using?

Erich