Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:25:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jcoombs@gwi.net
Subject:   RE: 5.0RC2 on an iPaq IA1

Don't rule out hardware problems. I have been working with 4.7R on an
IA-1. The power supplies in there aren't the greatest, and I've had
problems with wireless keyboards loading the units down to where they had
problems booting.

I would suggest you get a self-powered USB hub, and make all your
connections through it (or try one of those keychain NAND drives). I
managed to get everything, including the wireless keyboard transciever, to
work just fine that way.

That said, I've had the most success with booting my IA-1 from a
microdrive. I did have to boost the CF Vcc to 5V by lifting and jumpering
the middle two pins to an unused serial connector (CN10), but that done,
the system is remarkably stable.

BTW - is your IA-1 a white or blue unit? I'm still trying to figure out
how to get FBSD to recognize the external MII PHY on the clipper ethernet
port.

Good luck,
Seth Henry

iPaq# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 2, USB 2.0 Storage
Adaptor(0xb001), DMI(0x0c0b), rev 11.10
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 156 mA, config 1, LINKSYS USB
Adapter(0x400b), LINKSYS Inc.(0x066b), rev 1.01

Suggestions on how to debug or reduce the errors?  The drive has good
media
(hooked direct to IDE it tests clean using Quantum's diag util) and the
system will boot fine with a warm reboot of the comp itself, so I'm
guessing
the problem is driver related and not a fault with the HW.

Joshua Coombs
jcoombs@gwi.net