Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:12:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        donny@ms1.hinet.net (Donny Lee)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding a new kernel. What I should take care?

>   Since I have to rebuild a new kernel for my IDE CD-ROM,
>   I'd like to hear you all in some points:

Ah, I assume the ATAPI kernel was not available??  Or, is there
some other reason??

>   1) Should I comment out those devices or options I don't need in
>      MY_KERNEL config file?

Here, you need to think a bit about what you're doing.  The short
answer is "YES".  In general, having a smaller kernel is better
because the extra memory that it *doesn't* consume can then
be used to make your applications run slightly faster, etc.

Since building kernels is probably not something you *want* to
be doing often (since it wastes your time), look through the
descriptions of all of the possible devices in the LINT file
(/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT).  Do NOT alter the contents of
this file.  Start with a nice NEW file -- for example, "donny"!
(don't mess up GENERIC, either!)

Remove things that you are probably NEVER going to have -- like
maybe a SCSI WORM drive, etc.  And, remove other "choices" for
things that you already have and aren't likely to change -- like
the BusLogic SCSI controller if you've already got an Adaptec.
Toss out things that just don't make sense -- like the PCI support
if you are running an ISA machine.

Then, think about things that you *don't* have but might want to
add later (i.e. in the next millenium!  :>) and consider adding
them to your configuration so that when you *do* buy them, you
can rush home from the store and plug it in without having to
wait to rebuild a new kernel :>  This might include a sound
card, SCSI tape (!), etc.

Many of the pseudo-devices are "required" (e.g. "loop") and others
are significant or TRIVIAL enough that they *should* be included
(for example, I include "speaker" even though I have a sound card).
If you don't have any SCSI stuff, "scsi" can probably go away and
if you aren't running FDDI, "de" can get tossed.

It's kinda like a funny game -- on the one hand, you try to tear out
everything that you don't need; but, on the other, you add in all
the things you *might* need!

>   2) What's good and bad if, for example, I comment out those
>      scsi devices except the one fits my scsi card?

That makes good sense -- assuming you aren't using a really
lousy (i.e. slow) SCSI host adapter and are planning on upgrading
it shortly to one of those *other* devices!

Note, also, that if you run FBSD on more than one machine, you *may* want
to come up with a kernel that will run on *any* machine (within reason)
just to save yourself the hassle of having to build separate kernels.

Finally, consider what you will do when/if you have a key hardware
failure.  If, for example, your SCSI host adapter *dies* and you
have a spare adapter -- but possibly a different model, etc. -- stashed
away in the closet, you might want to build the kernel to support
the new adapter and the *old* adapter!  So, if the adapter *does*
fail, you can throw in the old adapter and at least have a system
that is functioning while you purchase a new adapter, etc.

>   3) Will a smaller kernel speed up ay boot time? if so, how to
>      make a kernel small?

Yes.  The more stuff you take out of the kernel configuration file,
the smaller the kernel will be.  Note some things have a bigger
effect on the size of the kernel than other things.  Also, the size
of the kernel (*text* image) is only one aspect of the amount of
memory that it will consume.  Tweeking other config file settings
can alter the amount of memory consumed for buffers, etc.

>   BTW, thanks for you all.  I can't fine many FreeBSD companions
>   here in Taipei, and worse no FreeBSD related local news groups,
>   I then have to post every questions here.

--don