Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:29:41 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Removing doscmd from the source tree...

Thomas Zenker wrote:

> A possibility could be: 1. build it for i386 only, 2. build it via
> buildworld without X11, regardless if X11 exists. If I want to use it
> with X11, it is interactive and I can make it for X11 by hand - it will
> not break on compile runs at some hour at night.

I'll commit a fix that will prevent including X when DESTDIR has been
set. In practice this means that doscmd will never include X, unless you
compile it by hand. This of course implies that you have to compile
doscmd by hand every time you do an installworld, given that you want X.

I still think doscmd should and can be a port, but I think it helps my
argument if I have the port ready to be committed and downloadable for
testing. It helps undermine the general objection that doscmd is very
dependent on the kernel, which I doubt...

If not, it will at least show me that I'm wrong :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/