Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:36:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ondrej Majerech <oxyd.oxyd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg Problems

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Ondrej Majerech wrote:

> On 19-Aug-10 13:20, Rem Roberti wrote:
>> I'm having trouble with xorg on a new 8.1 installation.  I haven't
>> installed a wm yet, but when I try to call up the generic x windows by
>> typing "startx" they do indeed appear, but all three of the x windows
>> are locked up. By that I mean that there is no mouse, and no possibility
>> of entering data in the windows via the keyboard. Totally frozen. And
>> you can't get out of x in the usual manner i.e. ctrl-alt-backspace. The
>> only thing that works is ctrl-alt-del which, of course, reboots the
>> computer. Any ideas are appreciated.

The Handbook chapter describes what to do:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

> "New" Xorg requires HAL and Dbus to recognize input devices by default. Do
> you have these enabled?
>
> Alternatively, you revert to the old, no-HAL method by adding
>
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"

Yes.

> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"

No.  Please don't use that, it's not necessary and sometimes causes
problems.  AutoAddDevices "Off" by itself disables hal input device
detection.

> into your ServerFlags in xorg.conf.

Or just put them in ServerLayout.

> You might also want to add Option "DontZap" "false" into the same section as
> well to have Ctrl-Alt-Backspace working again.

I think that DontZap is back to the default, but it's now the key
combination that is unset, so setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
is the way to fix it.  But it's been a while since I've needed to kill
X manually, so haven't tried it lately.