Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:06:18 -0700
From:      Tom Wadlow <wadlow@tw.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A strange problem

I have three laptops, all running FreeBSD 2.2.5.  An NEC 6030H, an NEC
6030X and an NEC 5080X.  I have installed the PAO extensions for 2.2.5
on all three.  I am trying to get a PCMCIA Ethernet card to work on them.
I have two choices of cards: the Megahertz CC10BT/2 and the 3Com 3C509D.

The two 6030 machines work just fine.  I plugged the card in, and it
was correctly detected. It didn't work the first time, but once I
shifted it to work off IRQ 11 it was happy.  Pinging from it to another
machine on the same network returned times of < 1ms.  All is well.

The 5080X, however is a different story.  I can find IRQs which cause the
PAO code to recognize the device.  In fact, it works on IRQ 11, like the others.
But pinging from that machine to another host on the local network starts with
a random time of several hundred or thousand milliseconds, and decreases by
10ms with every subsequent ping.  When zero is reached, it starts back at the
original number and does it again.  After a large number of pings, it chokes.

My first thought was that this was an IRQ conflict.  I'd seen this a long time ago
with the PAO boot floppy for 2.2.1.  So I exhaustively checked all IRQs.  Same
thing.  It either failed (IRQ in use by something else), or it worked as described
above.

My next thought was that the PCIC IRQ was wrong in some way.  So I exhaustively
checked the combination of PCIC and board IRQs.  Same thing.  I also set the PCIC
IRQ to 0, which apparently only allows the board to be detected on boot.  Same problem.

I've stripped everything else out of the kernel to see if there are conflicts there.
No luck.  At this point, I'm out of ideas.  Do you have any?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  --Tom