Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 11:06:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        jbarrm@panix.com (Barry Masterson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Kernel. alt F12, backspace, blinking cursor.

>From the keyboard of Barry Masterson:

> In the kernel config file, I enabled PCVT, XSERVER & vt0.
[...]
> It took a few minutes to figure out how to access the virtual consoles,
> in 2.0.5 I used ALT F1 - F6 for the six vc's. Now I know to use ALT F12
> to move from vc to vc.  Also, ALT F11 displays some kind of system
> status information bar.

You are now running a driver different from syscons/sc0 with a different
behaviour and different utilities to control it's behaviour.

The complete documentation for pcvt is located under the directory:

		/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc

please have a look at ALL those files. For the keybaord layout for pcvt,
refer to the file /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc/Keyboard.HP.

> I do however now have a Blinking Cursor. I had gotten used to the
> solid cursor and now miss it. Any hints on how to change it back?

You won't get it back unless you hack the driver - pcvt does not support
a non-blinking cursor until now.

> tried changing the /etc/sysconfig file; changing the 'cursor' line
> from "normal" to NO, but upon rebooting, I still have the blinking
> cursor.

You are changing the syscons-utilities parameters by doing that ...

> The message I got upon rebooting after the cursor change follows:
>
> [vidcontrol: cursorMust be on a virtual console: Inappropriate ioctl
> for device]

Vidcontrol is a syscons/sc0 utility, pcvt's control programs are scon(1),
kcon(1), loadfont(1) and cursor(1).

There is more, have a look at the tree below /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt.

> In the original reInstallation of 2.1.0, I chose the screen saver
> option. I have a NEC MultiSync XV15 monitor, and a S3 805 video card,
> both of which support the 'green thing'. Upon booting the new kernel
> I got this message:
>
> screensaver: /lkm/green_saver_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_scrn_blanked'
> referenced from text segment

Again, you are trying to apply syscons utilities to pcvt. Pcvt has by
default a blank screen-saver compiled in, you activate it with the scon(1)
utility.

> Also, the backspace, and delete key no longer work, all I get now is
>  ^?  and ^[[  respectively.

They do work. Did you remeber to change the termcap type you use ? Are
you still using cons25 ? If so, please use vt220 or a pcvtXXXX one.

> This new setup is new to me. Any advice on how to use the what I guess
> is PCVT will be appreciated.
>
> My main questions are, how do I get the cursor back to its Non-Blinking
> state, and how do I fix the backspace & delete keys.  I remember seeing
> a few letters last week on PCVT. I still have to review them.  Any help
> on the above will be appreciated.

To repeat: the complete documentation for pcvt is located under the directory:

		/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc

I don't know why it was moved there, but it is as it is now. Please read it!

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe
                                              (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nstall BSD ?