Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 13:36:02 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup and ports-update

Martin Schweizer wrote:

> Hello
>
> I create the following supfiles:
>
> *default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
> *default prefix=/usr/ports
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> ports-all
>
> or
>
> *default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
> *default prefix=/usr/ports
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> ports-x11
>
> Now I start cvsup. I see my cvsup is loading down all the above stuff but after
>  cvsup there are no changes made in /usr/ports/ or in /usr/ports/x11. If I
> change to *default prefix=/usr/home/my_username he creates the newest ports
> directories correct with the newest stuff in it. What is going wrong?

Nothing, you don't understand what cvsup is doing. The ports are a
data structure that gets updated by cvsup. You have to cvsup and then
cd into the proper directory to make use of the new data. Then, can do
a make and make install to actually update the port. If you already
have it installed, you will have to delete the previous version. This
is a simplistic view and most ports have a dependancy list that must
be maintained at the same time. For example, if you update ports-x11,
nothing that uses it will be updated to use the new version. You
really have to cvsup ports-all. When you finish cvsuping, you have to
rebuilt /usr/ports/INDEX*

Kent

--
Kent Stewart