Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:12:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost+found (+hope?)

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Gerard Giamberdine wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what led to this, but I had a bunch of files (mainly
> DOS) zipped up and sitting in a directory on my FreeBSD drive - then one
> day I noticed a '/usr/local/lost+found' with a bunch of files in it with
> numbers for names. Eventually I figured out that these were the files I
> had in the archive directory, only now many were about 25% or so smaller
> in size. Under DOS, pkunzip is unable to extract these files saying
> they're corrupted. Is there any hope of repairing these files? Also, I'm
> curious how this lost+found directory works and what condition(s) might
> have caused (just) these files to be placed there. Thanks for your help!

The machine must have crashed or some sort of disk error occured, you
rebooted and fsck found them and placed them in lost+found.  fsck saves by
inode (1k chunks or so) so you'll have to paste the files together.  If
they were .ZIPs you're probably out of luck.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo