Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to quickly setup a network printer?

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Pascal Giannakakis wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:19:44 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: How to quickly setup a network printer?
>
> Lo ppl,
>
> as the handbook doesn't give a quick and dirty answer to it...
>
> FreeBSD 4.6.2 WS + Epson EPL-N1600 Laser Printer @ network
>
> How do i set 'em up quickly and mostly automated?
>
> Thx!

Unfortuately there isn't a quick'n'dirty method. If you read through the
handbook description of printing, you'll see that it's not too hard:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing.html

The bad thing is that it's a non-trivial setup. The good thing is tha once
you've done it on one free *nix platform, you've done it on pretty much
all of them.

Some of my friends use and rave about the CUPS printing system, you may
want to check it out. I have no experience with it personally. If I need
to print I do it on my Mac :-), but I have set up printers in Linux and
BSD before, it's not too bad iff they're supported or at least work as a
Postscript printer.

Good luck - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg