Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 14:43:42 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        kip@lyris.com
Cc:        hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with recursion in libc_r

> Should I actually think about changes to make, or should I simply hold off
> and let more experienced kernel hackers take care of the fixes?

If you have the time and motivation to produce changes, please do indeed
do so.  You'll achieve best results by establishing a relationship with
one or more committers, so that you have a direct vector for having your
changes tested and committed.

> However, before I start making any modifications to FreeBSD I would like
> to know that the changes I make will actually be incorporated, so that I
> will not suffer the same fate as PAO, namely having to reincorporate my
> changes each new release.

If you work with us, rather than developing in isolation, there is
little danger of this.