Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 19:08:24 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Greg Lehey:
> > I don't know qmail, but I find it hard to believe that it is really
> > "several hundred times" faster.  It's possible that it looks that way
> > due to different delivery strategies (try to deliver to all recipients
>
> Qmail would kill hub very fast, considering that it sends a mail per
> recipient and doesn't try to group deliveries. It would also make us lose
> the traffic cut we enjoy with national/regional relays.

No, it would not kill hub.

Grouping doesn't give much performance in this case since less than 5%
(IMO) of the recipcients have the same MX.

> When one mail is sent to the list, one copy goes for all *.fr recipients,
> one copy goes for all *.de recipients and so forth. That's bandwidth and
> delay reduction for you and where Qmail sucks big time IMO.

You are still in the old UUCP times with your 'one copy to all *.fr
recipients'. I don't think that all *.fr subscribers have the same MX.
You can only do better with sendmail if you send, lets say, 100 messages
to the same MX.

> Qmail is faster but sends N times as much data as sendmail. Bad bad bad.

Nope.

Timestamp: It's currently 19:08 local time (+0200)

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch