Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:42:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New scheduler (#3)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>

> > :This would explain why my recent effort to force Jeff's
> > :scheduler to overload without X running didn't work.
> > :
> > :Matt, are you generating patches or simply analyzing
> > :Jeff's code?  I don't mind panicking my machine if you
> > :need a guinea pig.
> > :
> > :--
> > :Steve
> >
> >    I'm just analyzing Jeff's code and doing simple rip-up tests.  I haven't
> >    been saving the bug fixes.  Mainly I am getting up to speed on the
> >    scheduler API so I can implement my fractional fair share cpu and I/O
> >    scheduler down the line.
> >
> I'd be very interested in hearing a critique of the API.  There are a few
> things that I think are missing now.  For example, a sched_exec().  Also,
> I think sched_fork() should be a finer grained thing like:
>
> sched_fork_kse()
> sched_fork_kseg()
> sched_fork_td()
> sched_fork_proc()
>
> So that they could be used when new structures are created from fork or as
> part of adding a new thread/kse/kseg to an existing proc.

hhmmmmmmmm.. :-)

> >    I expect Jeff can fix the more obvious bugs in a few seconds.  Dealing
> >    with the cpu-thread-stealing issue is a much harder problem.  I saw
> >    the flip-flop and reported it, but did not try to fix it.
> >

> I'm still not sure about the flip-flop that you're talking about.  The
> others should be very quick to fix.  I'll get a patched version going
> pretty quickly here.
>
> Thank you very much for the review matt.  This is the most thorough
> feedback I've received yet.

I read it but only briefly..
We're in the middle of "paradigm shift" in KSE land..
David Xu had a "moment of clarity" (the kind that one has in the
shower, though I have no idea where he was when he had it) and
figured out that we could make things much simpler by doing something
differently so we're testing that..  So so haven't had time to give your
scheduler the scrutiny it deserves.