Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:15:41 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        dandee@volny.cz
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atheros driver: countrycode and athdebug

Daniel Dvořák wrote:
>> You can override the country code but the potential values
>> depends on the regdomain.  I thought hw.ath.countrycode was
>> r/w but it appears you can only set via the tunable api (kenv
>> hw.ath.countrycode=XXX).  The dev.ath mib must be r/o since
>> you cannot (yet) change this after attaching the device (the
>> driver does not implement it).  Adding support to do this is
>> not a big deal but hasn't been done; feel free to supply a patch.
>>

> Ok, I tried to set via the tunable api kenv through loader, but this is the
> result:
>
> # ifconfig ath0
> ifconfig: interface ath0 does not exist
> # ifconfig ath1
> ifconfig: interface ath1 does not exist
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x80000000-0x8000ffff irq 12 at device 13.0 on pci0
> ath0: unable to collect channel list from hal; regdomain likely 96 country
> code
> 203
> device_attach: ath0 attach returned 22
>
> ath1: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x800c0000-0x800cffff irq 9 at device 17.0 on pci0
> ath1: unable to collect channel list from hal; regdomain likely 96 country
> code
> 203
> device_attach: ath1 attach returned 22
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x80000000-0x8000ffff irq 12 at device 13.0 on pci0
> ath0: unable to collect channel list from hal; regdomain likely 96 country
> code 203
> device_attach: ath0 attach returned 22
>
> ath1: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x800c0000-0x800cffff irq 9 at device 17.0 on pci0
> ath1: unable to collect channel list from hal; regdomain likely 96 country
> code 203
> device_attach: ath1 attach returned 22
>
> # sysctl hw.ath
> hw.ath.hal.version: 0.9.17.2
> hw.ath.hal.dma_brt: 2
> hw.ath.hal.sw_brt: 10
> hw.ath.hal.swba_backoff: 0
> hw.ath.dwell: 200
> hw.ath.calibrate: 30
> hw.ath.outdoor: 1
> hw.ath.xchanmode: 1
> hw.ath.countrycode: 203
> hw.ath.regdomain: 0 -- not setted to 96 ????
> hw.ath.rxbuf: 40
> hw.ath.txbuf: 100
>
> So ? I don´t know. :)

Your card has a regdomain in the eeprom that is 96.  I believe that's
the FCC regdomain.  With that regdomain you cannot specify any country
code except US.  The hw.ath mib tree mostly contains "default settings"
that are applied to instances of the ath driver as they are attached.
The hw.ath.regdomain is there in case I'm able to add the ability to
override the eeprom regdomain at some point the future (something high
on my todo list).  In the mean time it is well known how to deal with
this situation--take a look at the madwifi.org web pages.

	Sam