Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:48:02 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Bernardo M. Brummer" <bbrummer@solar.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:56:17AM -0300, Bernardo M. Brummer wrote:
> Upgraded from 4.3 to 4.7-RELEASE.
> After some problems I decided to do a fresh installation (CD), but the new
> XFree86-4 server won?t configure.
> Using the graphic tool (it works, distorted but works), won?t save the
> configuration file.
> The configure file, made by using the scripting tool (saves in diferent
> directory than graphic tool) won?t bring up the server with messages about
> not finding the screen, and something about the host?s name.

When posting about a problem, don't describe the error in vague terms;
you need to paste the EXACT error message(s) so we can see what the
problem is without having to invoke the magic crystal ball.

Taking a guess at what you're doing, XFree86 -configure will save the
new config file in your home directory (i.e. /root), and you have to
either point the X server at that config file directly when you start
it, or move it to /etc/X11.

Kris

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4--