Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:02:31 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ernest Sales <ersaloz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports from -release vs. -latest [was: RE: FreeBSD 7.1 Content]

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:30:49PM +0200, Ernest Sales wrote:
> I use to update ports almost weekly from -latest, but the resulting GUI is
> not always consistent, so I am considering to stick with the -release tag.
> Could someone comment on the quality of ports from -release vs. -latest? In
> other words, can I expect a substantial gain in usability by doing so?

The ports tree is not branched like the src tree.  If you want any
updates you get the latest.  The ports tree as presented on the install
media is merely a snapshot of the tree at that point in time.  If you
only use that tree you will never receive updates.  If that tree works
well for you and you don't care about updates of any kind then go ahead
and stick on that tree.  Personally, I want updates to some important
(to me) pieces of software so I do keep things updated.

Please do not take this as an opportunity to bring up the "we should
use a branched approach to ports" discussion.  That's been done many
times before so look in the archives if you want more information.

-- WXS