Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 11:55:53 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.ORG, thrawn@linux.nu
Subject:   Re: Problems when runing make installworld.

On Fri, 31 May 2002 12:01:56 +0300
Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:06:23AM +0200, Mattias Bj?rk wrote:
> > Hi, Again, thanks for the answer, i read
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=30276.
> >
> > It says there that if you are building make world with a p3 and run
> > make installworld on a 486 you get this error. But I don't have a
> > p3 I have a dual celeron, I have also attached my make.conf from
> > the building machine. And its a p90 that Im makeing the make
> > worldinstall on. But any way the problem seams too be the same or
> > am I wrong?
> >
> Did you set CPUTYPE=i586 just before doing a buildworld?  Was it by
> chance set to CPUTYPE=i686 before?
>
> If that's the case, your /usr/lib stuff on the build box has some P6
> CPU instructions, and some tools (like install(1) and strip(1)) that
> are used during installworld on your Pentium box use these libraries
> and fail.  To work around this, you'll have to:
>
> 1.  Rebuild and reinstall world/kernel on your build box with the
>     compatible (with your install box) CPUTYPE setting like
>     CPUTYPE=i586.
>
> 2.  Reboot with the new kernel and world.
>
> 3.  Build the world again (!).
>
> 4.  Install this second world on a Pentium box.

Ruslan,

This is good information to have, but it brings to mind, how
do the release engineers build a release that will install
binaries, and then allow you to run a buildworld on machines
types from a Intel 386 to an AMD Athlon?

Is it a matter of using the lowest common denominator? and
the release building hardware is running the operating
system with out any optimizations?

P.S. and to keep this "On-Topic" for the stable list, my
buildworlds and systems have been running great on 4.6-Pre,
Great work and kudos to the Project members and contributers.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com