Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:44:44 +0500
From:      "Iain Dooley" <iain_dooley@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maintaining a Minimal Installation for a Small HDD

hi there, i'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE on a Thinkpad 586, with
a 1GB HDD and something like 48 MB of ram, with a pentium 133 processor.

there is no CD drive, so i installed from floppies via FTP and selected
'minimal' installation, and didn't install any of the ports or src.

i now want to upgrade to 5.3 (for various reasons) and i want to have a
source tree that i can use to maintain my system via cvsup.

in my stable-supfile, i commented out src-all, and then selected only the
packages that i thought i would need.

i commented out src-contrib, but this produced an error that make did not
know how to build bool-array.cc.

src-contrib is very large, and there are loads and loads of programs in
there that i don't need for this machine (i am really only ever going to use
the laptop to ssh into another computer on my network at home and from uni
over the wireless network... it's just a portable terminal).

i'm pretty confident that i could select what i need, (ie. i think i could
go into contrib and select only the programs that i want to install) but i
don't really know how to do it.

do i need to edit the Makefiles? how can i cvsup only those programs in
contrib that i need? my aim here is to have a compact source tree that i can
use cvsup to keep current, but only takes up a couple of hundred meg.

i'm not sure where to start. the handbook is usually a good place to start
but i don't know the best section to look in. any help would be greatly
appreciated.

cheers

iain