Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 16:07:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Are Bryne <are@communique.no>
To:        FreeBSD questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WTH!? vipw/pwd_mkdb does not encrypt

Hi,

Suddenly, I found out that vipw didn't encrypt password entries in new
additions.
I tried using pwd_mkdb by hand, which gives no error messages, but still
does not do the encryption part.
I tried using the adduser perl script, which does encrypt. But that uses
the perl crypt() (which is compiled in statically/isn't a system fnct?).

I've checked the /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb binary and the /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0,
which both are unchanged (datewise) since the installation.
/usr/lib/libcrypt* are linked to /usr/lib/libscrypt*, where the libcrypt*
are from the installation, and the links somewhat newer.

The system is a 2.2.1-RELEASE installed (fresh) from ftp. It's been
working wonderfully since Mar 25. Custom kernel, but no obvious changes
the last weeks to account for the problem.

Any brilliant ideas?

Thank you in advance...

Are Bryne
Communiqué DA				 Phone:        +47 22 44 33 99
Parkveien 51b				 E-mail:   admin@communique.no
N-0256 Oslo