Date:      Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:57:50 -0800
From:      Mark Space <markspace@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook DHCPD needs update?

(This missive is going to both freebsd-stable and freebsd-doc.)

Hi all, I just got done setting up my brand spankin' new FreeBSD 6
(release) server for DHCPD, and I found an ommision in the online
handbook.  I'm a newbie at FreeBSD but I'm pretty sure about this.

In short, the handbook never mentions that one needs to add the
following lines to /etc/rc.conf:

dhcpd_enable="YES"
dhcpd_ifaces="dc0"

If one doesn't do that, the script that the handbook says to use to
start dhcpd won't work, even if you do it manually as the handbook
instructs:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh start

This won't work.  This script snarfs values out of  /etc/rc.conf, and
the default (in the script above) for dhcpd_enable is NO.  Hence the
script alone won't start anything.  (When you check the handbook, make
sure you scrolldown to section 24.5.7.  The first part of the DHCP
section explains how to set up the client (dhclient).  That part does
have the correct setup for /etc/rc.conf.  Scroll down to the server
section, dhcpd, to see what I'm talknin' about.)

Anyhoo, what's the best way to fix this?  I could submit a patch, but it
might be faster for someone else. I've never submitted a patch to the
documentation.

Peace, out.