Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:20:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nonblocking page fetching

:I tried this initially, and had a few problems:
:
:...
:the amount varies considerably from movie to movie. I need something tunable
:on the fly. (N changes with use)
:
:...
:It's not so much bandwidth, but latency. My movie's bandwidth is much less
:than the disk bandwidth, i just can never stop to wait for things to be
:brought in.
:
:Kevin
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

    Well, I guess for your application the easiest thing to do is to simply
    use your second-process idea, accessing the pages ahead of time to
    force them into the cache.  I getting carried away :-)

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)